Four years ago, I rid myself of having cable (and two years ago, I ditched owning a TV altogether). It has easily been one of the best choices of my life: I’ve been more productive personally and professionally, had time for continued learning across several verticals and an amplified drive to create art.
Many reading this may not know it, but in my free time I am an electronic music artist. A lot of people I meet have trouble believing I keep a blog, write music and work for one of the top marketing firms globally, but I do all of those things. No, I don’t have time for TV. I frequently sacrifice my social life. I’m usually working on one of my projects in free time. But I wouldn’t give any of it up and I’m irrationally committed to all my interests.
2009 was a big year for me personally and professionally. Just a few highlights include:
- Moving from South Florida to Minneapolis to work at TopRank Online Marketing.
- Speaking at PubCon 2009, liveblogging SES San Jose, liveblogging MIMA 2009, and participating in various other marketing industry events.
- Contributing content to A-list blogs such as Online Marketing Blog and LouisGray.com.
- Releasing a new album of original music as a free download (and being featured for it on the Creative Commons blog). Also releasing a social media mixtape.
- Lots of great conversations generated around the web.
- 2 awards won for previous campaigns.